Challenge Paintings are a fun way for CTPS members to showcase and expand their skills.
- All members are encouraged to paint a work that demonstrates the monthly challenge. At the meeting, members who chose to rise to the challenge are asked to show their work and to speak on how they developed the composition, what techniques they tried, and what materials they used, and so on.
- Framing is not required. Often, members simply mat their work for display.
SEPTEMBER 2017 – One Thing
- This challenge theme is about painting one object, person, item, or thing.
OCTOBER 2017 – Dance
- The theme centers on dance, and can be an interpretation of any kind of dance.
NOVEMBER 2017 – Cityscape or Street Scene
- This theme brings a focus to urban cityscapes, street scenes, or architectural subjects.
JANUARY 2018 – Through the Eyes of Love
- The challenge here is to convey a loving attitude or act.
FEBRUARY 2018 – Some thing/one/where that is hot or cold
- For this challenge you should paint something, someone, or somewhere (a location) that conveys a hot or cold temperature.
MARCH 2018 – Moody Misty Mystery
- Create a painting with a haunting mood that is mysterious, hazy, foggy, or misty.
APRIL 2018 – Farmers Market
- This theme allows you a wide latitude for the light, food, things, people find at a Farmers Market.
MAY 2018 – Wrong Color/Color Barrier
- This theme asks you to create a composition that employs an unexpected or ‘wrong’ color and/or a composition that uses color as a barrier to understanding, or color as a symbol of isolation.